Monday, April 25, 2011

oh snap!


I have found the answer to all my snappy struggles, it is the snapsetter! And it only took me spending about 30 something dollars on junk to do it. Now first of all there is a lesson here, and I have a theme going on it, haste makes waste. This time it was not going and asking someone, as in seek a little wise council, before I spent my money. I mean my sweet sister in law is only the best sewer I know, she smocks and does heirloom sewing. She does things I can't even imagine doing! Well I finally asked her what she uses, and it's the best little tool ever. Just go to snapsouce.com. The actual tool is around $10, and the snaps are very affordable. You'll use your own household hammer to bang the snap tool to set the snap. The only problem will be deciding which snaps you want, there are so many to choose from! I went for a plain stainless steel. And you will have to buy an attachment if you want a pearl snap. It protects that pearly part so you don't crack it in the process. So now, if you want to make bibs, or little outfits with snaps, or whatever, this is what you need. Do not buy the snap tool at walmart, do not buy the dritz snap tool at your local fabric store, but DO order one of these.

And one other item that I can't stop thinking about (as for as crafty thoughts go) is the embroidery kit that Alicia Paulson is getting ready for preorders. It's a sort of sampler of the alphabet, and the prettiest little letters you've ever seen. The design and colors are so wonderful. Her husband will silk screen the print onto the fabric (which is a beautiful color too), so there's no transfering of the design before you get started. It is actually a crewel work kit, but that only means that the embroidery thread will be wool thread, not cotton. It will be the same type stitches that you use when you embroider. And she'll include instructions, thread, and basically everything, in the kit. I have ordered Christmas ornament kits from her before and they are lovely. She is so very talented, and I love her style, it is my very favorite. I have no idea how much they'll cost. Her other kits have been around $25 dollars. I think she'll be taking preorders this week, so I guess we'll know soon. She says, "I like to think of you sitting on your porch in a halter top and bare feet, drinking peach iced tea, working on this as you watch the dandelions bloom and the summer unfold," that sounds just perfect. We have a couple of hammocks Joseph's sister brought to us from Brazil, and we hope to hang one of them on the porch soon, and I'm thinking of hammock, me, sweet embroidery, a breeze, and of course some bug spray (nothing's ever too perfect :) ).

No comments:

Post a Comment